Information for Parents
The 4-H Program and Your Child
Quebec 4-H is dedicated to the personal development of youth while providing a positive impact on volunteers and communities in Quebec. Through our network of dedicated Volunteers and staff, your child as a 4-H Member will be:
- encouraged to develop self-confidence, a sense of responsibility and a positive self-image in a safe and encouraging environment;
- helped to develop their skills in communications, leadership, problem solving and goal setting;
- offered the opportunity to learn about almost everything through club projects. Specific knowledge and skills are learned through projects that cover topics such as arts and culture, technology and science, livestock and agriculture, financial management, food preparation and nutrition, recreational activities, career and self esteem development… really the list goes on and on
The 4-H Program and You
Parents are key to a child’s success in the 4-H program. Your interest and cooperation is a major factor in determining your child’s attitude towards 4-H activities. Like most things, the more your child “puts into” the program, the more he or she will get out of it. You as a parents are truly the secret weapon of the 4-H program in that way. Encouraging and supporting your child through the program will ensure the best experience. There are also other simple ways to help out. Ask the club leader on what they need assistance with.
Simple things like the following can be a huge help:
1. Host a club meeting at your home
2. Provide snacks at one of the club meetings
3. Lend a hand at meetings, the Achievement Program, or another 4-H event
4. Share your knowledge and expertise – everyone is an expert at something
The 4-H Program is a Safe One
We know, providing your child with a safe and encouraging environment is the most important thing of all. That is why Quebec 4-H has screening and training policies and procedures for all of our Volunteers.
Keeping Connected to the 4-H Program
Once your child has joined 4-H, your child will receive information about 4-H opportunities you child may wish to participate in. Your family will also begin receiving the Quebec 4-H News Spreader. The newsletter is released 7 times a year, and holds tons of great information about what’s happening in the world of 4-H, including activities, events and opportunities that are available for your child to participate in. Your family will also receive the national magazine, the 4-H Advantage, full of stories and information about 4-H across the country.
Pitching 4-H to Your Kids
Often parents see a program they’d love to involve their children in, but don’t know how to “pitch” it to their kids. Saying, “You’ll gain self confidence and life skills”, usually doesn’t work. However, you can tell them it’s a great way to meet new friends and learn about topics they are interested in – often topics they don’t get the opportunity to learn about in school. The 4-H program strives to ensure all members and volunteers experience the 4-H program in a safe and encouraging environment – one where members can explore their thoughts and ideas knowing that in “Learn To Do By Doing” there is no wrong answer.
Emergency Contact Information
In the case of an emergency (outside of regular business hours 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday to Friday), in which you need to contact your child who is attending one of the Quebec 4-H provincially run programs, (ie. Junior Camp, Leadership Conference, Provincial Rally, Innovative Ag Tour) please call # 450-601-4187.
Using their hands to perfect a craft, their heart to reach out to other people, their head to learn and strategize and spending every healthy day making a difference in the world.